1/22/2010

Audiotopia

Posted by Solace In Hunger

Trance music doesn't affect me the same way that it used to anymore.

What drew me to the music earlier on was how seductive, dark and brimming with energy it was. Something about it was so soulful and inspiring, bursting at the seams with such emotion that it was the freight train whose tracks you wanted to jump on and be hit by. Sometime during 2008, that energy started to become lost. As the parties became more popular the music became more mainstream. While that itself isn't necessarily bad, we started to have these cookie cutter track releases built upon pushing tested affective buttons rather than hearing compositions that came from the heart. And with that, the parties themselves brought forth new attendees that are there because it's just "the hot thing to roll to" right now. My decision to leave the scene for now is definitely a good one.

Having only listened to a few mixsets since the beginning of 2009, I concede that I make these statements without a full understanding of today's musical landscape. However, even as releases of this new year show some promise of an uptrend, the music I search for now requires much more of an insightful energy. Clearing the cobwebs surrounding the folders of my music library brought this rediscovery...

Flying Lotus - Litremeter



J Dilla - Won't Do


Flying Lotus - Parisian Goldfish


What would you call this type of hip-hop? Avant-garde? Leftist? Underground? At least that's what I've heard it labeled by others. Whatever it is, this is definitely speaking to me right now. I feel it's energy pulsing within me, waving through the joints and burning through the muscles. I want to dance to it...glide to it...even tut to it (I'm horrible at these but I'm learning). I feel connected...

0 comments: