9/21/2009

To Ride Or Not To Ride...

Posted by Solace In Hunger

I never really learned to ride a bike... My parents' time with their work while I was growing up never really led to moments where they could take me to the park to master the skill of moving on two wheels. I had a day of instruction from my sister's boyfriend at the time when I was 16. And I had another day when I was in Taiwan for a bike excursion when was 21. Both times, I had spent the time to learn my balance and go a short distance but without a bike of my own and other people to continue learning from I quickly became discouraged and wrote off the task as something I would never get a grip of.

It's a common daydream to find myself in flight against the wind, zipping in an out of the trees and mountaintops and dancing in circles. Perhaps being on a motorcycle then is not so strange, no? Granted the idea originally came from a friend and her love of guys on bikes but the more I thought about it, there is something about riding that is very much in sync of how I feel. There is that feeling of freedom which I only get a hint of as I speed in my car with the windows and sunroof down. Being able to journey on the road in a bike has that sense of adventure that does does not come sitting behind the wheel of a car. I imagine that even a mundane commute like going to work would just be exhilarating on a bike. On top of that, they're economically more efficient than traditional modes of transportation (though my current ride still takes the title of "most efficient")

Doing research on bikes I found this beast...



This Kawasaki Ninja 250R is an entry level sport bike and to me it symbolizes the beginning of a new adventure. There are still things that must be resolved financially over the next few months but let it be known that I will be enrolling in an MSF class very soon...

0 comments: