2/19/2010

Taking It All In

Posted by Solace In Hunger

“There is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost.” — Martha Graham

There is so much energy going around.  I see people around me finding happiness in things and for once that happiness is rooted in the present and what potential the future brings.  I've always found myself living in the past, and while those memories are sweet they cannot be relived.  Always going back to the past chains me from fully leaping forward and enjoying what is right before me.  I find this forward thinking empowering and motivating.  The canvas of which to build my life is blank, ready to be painted by the colors of whatever experience I choose.  Such freedom brings us all great hope, no?

This year's work for East West Players Studio Lab Project will be...

Antigone!!!!!

I've always wanted to work on a Greek play.  Save for the few times I've been fortunate enough to work on Shakespeare and analysis classes back in school, I am a total idiot when it comes to classical pieces.  A new style of analysis and performance to pick up; a journey to the worlds that exist today as dust; a deeper understanding of our condition; I'm excited to learn about this world and see how me and my fellow cast mates will grow from it.

There's a great group assembled this year.  Four actors (including myself) returning from previous Studio Labs with seven others my friend Jimmy calls "the new blood" will be bringing this piece to life.  Eleven of us brought together by a common passion.  In addition, we have a wonderful dancer from the Diavolo show coming in to help us with movement and additional artists to produce original music and assist with play analysis.  I can't stop mentioning at how excited I am about the potential for this show!


I went on a night shoot near Los Angeles' Water and Power building with a friend.  John, I must thank you for letting me use your 50mm lens.  I had to pick up my own after being introduced to the wonderful possibilities shots from that lens could produce.

Lately, I'm finding myself much more at peace when I'm shooting.  I'm finally tapping back into that visual artist in me I had trouble getting back once I found acting.  Pursuing that has also brought me to rediscover friends who I not known before were artists themselves.  They're work is just as inspiring as their friendship.  Check out some of their work...

[Having trouble linking samples of their work but click on their names to see their websites]



Jeff Lee

John Mark Esplana

Ray Perenia


I hope that everyone is doing well out there... =o)

I usually put up a track of the day but for some reason I couldn't get this commercial and the song in it out of my head. Thanks to Robert for sending me this keeping me laughing through the late night

0 comments: