4/04/2010

The City That Never Sleeps

Posted by Solace In Hunger

"Every true New Yorker believes with all his heart that when a New Yorker is tired of New York, he is tired of life." - Robert Moses

I have been up for nearly the past thirty hours....  I'm half awake, dreading work tomorrow but I have the biggest smile on my face.  There's no way that I can effective post everything about how much fun and incredible Manhattan was.... so with the remainder of my strength I offer these blurbs....

- The sensory overload given by the scope of the city
- The sweet smell of honey roasted nuts sold by the vendors at every corner
- The labyrinthine tunnels of NY Penn Station
- Romantic's view of the city is very accurate as to how it really is
- Don't expect to see any blue sky unless you look STRAIGHT up!
- Weather was perfect.  Chilly in the morning and warm in the afternoon.  I didn't need to wear any of the heavy coats I bought just for the trip.
- There is so much life that could be felt in the city.  I lost an entire just touring Central Park and seeing all the different types of people that went through it.
- ...and Central Park is RIDICULOUSLY HUGE
- I loved talking to the different vendors who were surprisingly very helpful.
- I missed out on the activities I planned to do, instead getting "lost" in the city and taking in its people
- I learned immediately how to walk and cross streets like a resident New Yorker
- Flash Mob Pillow Fight in Union Square!!!!
- People there are gorgeous and look like they coming out an magazine ad just walking the street
- Retreading the same damn loop multiple times in front of my hotel with Juan because we kept missing the exit
- Both Chinatown and Little Italy are very small.  One ends and the other begins on the same tiny block!
- New Yorkers are actually very friendly (and very flirty =o) ) despite their reputation for being the opposite.  They're not rude, just very to the point and expect the same in return.
- Walking through Farmer's Market and having a cup of fresh apple cider.
- What a wonderful vibe entering Roseland Ballroom.  We had a long line getting in, but it moved very fast especially considering the type of event.
- Dylan's Candy Bar with Amanda and Felix!!!
- Juan has taught the local guido dance of "Opening the gates of Heaven" and "Closing the gates of Hell"
- Meeting and talking to Menno de Jong and Roger Shah and finding them to be some of the nicest, appreciative, most laid back people I've ever met.
- Hearing Ashley played several times... but it's okay I LOVE that song.
- Armin playing a dark side of trance not heard of in years.  Could that original feeling finally be coming back?
-Watching Filo and Peri do that same dance on stage made ASOT450 even more memorable
- I lost my phone jumping between trains heading back to Jersey and spend more replacing that than I did during my days in the city.
-I still don't plan on ever returning to the party scene but ASOT450 was a damn good way to end things.

I hope that everyone is doing well out there... =o)

Track of the Day:

Bart Claessen - Hartsser (Original Mix) - Probably my favorite track that Armin played on night 1

0 comments: